Latest Team Rankings
Free Text Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
September 26, 2010Southern Miss Football Report Sept. 26, 2010
Record 3-1, 0-0 C-USA
W, 13-12 at Louisiana Tech (Joe Aillet Stadium, Ruston, La./22,344)
Oct. 2 - Marshall (Carlisle-Faulkner Field at Roberts Stadium/36,000), 7 pm [CBS C/Roger Twibell, play-by-play; Mike Leach, analysis]
Player of the Week Nominations
Austin Davis, QB, 6-2, 200, r-Jr., Meridian, Miss.
The Golden Eagle quarterback accounted for 302 total offensive yards, tallying 233 passing (22-of-38) with one TD and one interception. He added 69 yards rushing on 18 carries. His one TD pass was a 23-yarder to Kelvin Bolden to start the Golden Eagles second half. Although Southern Miss scored just 13 points, Davis engineered drives of 4:02, 2:01 and 8:10, during the contest as USM held the ball for 38:25 during the game. He helped converted four, third-down conversion on the eight-minute drive in the third quarter. It was the second time in Davis' career that he has helped the Golden Eagles to 38 minutes or more in time of possession. USM improved to 6-1 during his career when he rushes for at least 50 yards. The junior also went over the 5,000-yard mark in passing and now has 5,097, which ranks No. 5 on the school's career list. He has now thrown a touchdown pass in 19 of 22 starts.
Korey Williams, LB, 6-2, 243, r-Jr., New Orleans, La.
Williams led the team in tackles with eight, including five solo stops. He registered one tackle for loss and his first career inception on Louisiana Tech's second drive of the contest. Williams ranks second on the team in tackles this season with 23.
Daniel Hrapmann, PK, 5-9, 160, r-Jr., New Orleans, La.
Hrapmann recorded two field goals for the Golden Eagles including a career-tying 45-yarder for the first points of the game. He added a 37-yard attempt in the third quarter, which capped an 18-play, 73-yard drive that accumulated 8:10. The second field goal proved to be the game winner. He has converted all seven field goals and all 10 extra-point tries in 2010. He now has made nine-straight field goals dating back to last season's New Orleans Bowl.
* The Golden Eagles have now won 10 consecutive games against teams from the state of Louisiana after its win at Louisiana Tech.
* The 13 total points are the fewest points scored by Southern Miss in a victory under Larry Fedora, while the three first half points are the fewest since scoring seven at SMU in 2008.
* WR Kelvin Bolden enjoyed the best day of his Golden Eagle career with a pair of catches for 79 yards. His first catch was a 23-yard TD catch from Austin Davis and the other was a 56-yard late in the contest which helped seal the victory for the Eagles.
* Southern Miss used an 18-play, 73-yard drive that took up 8:10 and led to a Southern Miss field goal late in the third quarter. It was the longest drive in terms of possession time in the Fedora era, since the 2008 UCF contest, in which Davis capped a 17-play, 85-yard scoring drive that took up 8:57. The longest scoring drive in the Fedora era took place against Arkansas State in 2008 and lasted 10:17.
* The Golden Eagles improved to 12-0 when they held their opponent to under 100 yards rushing (47) and 11-0 when they limit them to under 20 points.
* Senior Justin Wilson recorded one of the three Golden Eagle interceptions in the contest, to notch the 10th of his career.
* Under Fedora, Southern Miss has now forced at least one turnover in 27 of 30 games and has had two or more in 20 contests.
* Southern Miss opens its 15th season of Conference USA play and are 12-2 in league openers. They have accumulated a 72-29 overall mark in league games and are 37-13 at home in C-USA play.
* The Golden Eagles will put a 10-game home winning streak on the line when they meet Marshall on Oct. 2. Their home winning streak is tied for the 10th longest in the FBS with West Virginia.
Florida State NEWS