Latest Team Rankings
Free Rivals Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
November 15, 2013
Top 10 moments from FSU's 1993 Championship season
Florida State will celebrate the 20-year anniversary of the 1993 football national championships this weekend. Members from the 1993 squad, including former head coach Bobby Bowden and Heisman Trophy winner Charlie Ward, will be honored in a special pre-game ceremony just before kickoff. Other former players expected to be on hand include Peter Boulware, Derrick Brooks, Sam Cowart, William Floyd, and Matt Frier.
Here's a look back at Florida State's first national championship with the top 10 moments from the 1993 season:
1. Jan. 1, 1994 - Bowden wins his first national championship. The coach who couldn't win the big one finally earned a national championship but it wasn't easy. Bobby Bowden was doused with a bucket full water and ice by his players and celebrated his first national championship.
2. Jan. 1, 1994 - Finally, a last minute field goal is good! Freshman kicker Scott Bentley booted a 22-yard field goal with 21 second left. That kick gave FSU the lead back at 18-16 to put FSU in the lead for good in the national championship win over Nebraska.
3. Nov. 27, 1993 - Warrick Dunn's TD catch and run vs. Florida. Florida had rallied to cut the score to 27-21 and FSU was facing a third-and-10 from its 21-yard line. Charlie Ward rolled away from pressure and found an open Warrick Dunn. The speedy freshman outran the Gator defense down the sideline 79-yards for the game-clinching TD. The Swamp went from a wild frenzy to complete silence.
4. Oct. 6, 1993 - Devin Bush's interception clinches win. FSU had lost three straight and seven of its last eight against in-state rival Miami. With FSU hanging on to a 21-10 lead in the fourth quarter, safety Devin Bush picked off a Frank Costa pass and return it for a touchdown to seal the win and finally get the UM monkey off FSU's back.
5. Dec. 11, 1993 - Ward wins the Heisman. In the most lopsided vote in Heisman history, Florida State quarterback Charlie Ward captured 740 of the 919 of the first place votes. Ward was FSU's first ever Heisman Trophy winner.
6. Nov. 20, 1993 - FSU gets a second chance. Notre Dame lost on a last second field goal to Boston College. A few hours later an inspired FSU team went out and hammered NC State 62-3 to get back in the national championship race.
7. Aug. 28, 1993 - The goal line stand. En route to a season opening shutout, FSU's defense completed an amazing 8-play goal line stand against Kansas. An emotional Mickey Andrews was captured on national television pumping his fists at the achievement of his defense.
8. Nov. 13, 1993 - Game of the Century. While FSU suffered a heartbreaking 31-24 loss, Florida State took on Notre Dame in the first ever 'Game of the Century' in South Bend. It was the first ever live ESPN broadcast of College GameDay on location.
9. Sept. 18, 1993 - Brooks seals game with pick. Through the first five games of the season linebacker Derrick Brooks outscored the opposition. Against No. 13 ranked North Carolina and the game still hanging in the balance, Brooks picked off a pass from UNC QB Mike Thomas and returned it for a 49-yard touchdown and put the game away for good.
10. Sept. 11, 1993 - Goal line stand part 2. A second goal-line stand against Clemson preserved the 57-0 shutout win over a ranked team at home.
Florida State NEWS