ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports


Florida State Academics
Register User Options
Site: Forum:


Post New topic Post New Poll Post Reply   Page 1

Previous Topic | Next Topic | Back to Topics
Barron and FSU need to have one of these on the drawing board.

Link: Incubation


Posted on 4/13 11:09 PM | IP: Logged

Amen.


One of the many ideas you scratch your head and say, 'how hasn't this been done already?'



Posted on 4/13 11:55 PM | IP: Logged

We do have a student incubator (see link).

I did some work on the feasibility/budgets for an incubator back in 2000. The main issue is the expense of who will fund it -- b-school, sciences, engineering, medical are all different colleges, and nobody wants to foot the entire bill. It ain't expensive, but isn't dirt cheap either. The costs aren't trivial.

Link: Jim Moran incubator


Posted on 4/14 6:46 AM | IP: Logged

Here's more on how MindTree came to Gainesville. UF was very prominent in the recruitment effort.

I'm working with the Gainesville Chamber/CEO on a similar initiative, and UF has been a key player in that, too. My client with flown in for the UF-Alabama football game and spent time with President Machen in the skybox. (I also received an invite but declined ;-)

Link: link
Posted on 4/14 7:43 PM | IP: Logged

It's amazing the turn around that has taken place in/around G'ville in regards to promoting for new businesses/companies to relocate there.

When I lived there 20 years ago, it was OCALA that got most of the new businesses with some in G'ville actually promoting OCALA as a destination because those in G'ville didn't want any change...didn't want "outsiders", didn't want companies OUTSIDE of Gville and especially, outside of FLA to move to their lil university town.

When downtown G'ville was basically dead and buried, its amazing to see what they are doing with it today to help attract good to HIGH paying jobs from innovative companies.

Today's G'ville is certainly not like your Daddy's G'ville.



Posted on 4/14 8:42 PM | IP: Logged


Originally posted by Knight_Light:
When I lived there 20 years ago, it was OCALA that got most of the new businesses with some in G'ville actually promoting OCALA as a destination because those in G'ville didn't want any change...didn't want "outsiders", didn't want companies OUTSIDE of Gville and especially, outside of FLA to move to their lil university town.
Sounds like Tallahassee's MO.



Posted on 4/15 11:48 AM | IP: Logged


I you have ever dealt with the Tallahassee govt types you see why there is so little private industry. No matter how much they say it, until the bureacrats and local pols are willing to allow free enterprise types into their inner circle they wont understand how to recruit them. The best, brightest and most industrious will not tolerate the local mindset that wants to know what color underwear you will have on each day that you go to work


If Tallahasse was not so closed mined the city would be thirving and would have  lots of tax $$$ s to spend on many projects and other recruiting efforts. They might even have a better selection of hotels and restaurants which would make the trips to FSU even better.


But instead what you get is polyester pants and pocket protectors in the what is rapidly becoming the land that time forgot.

7/22 10:51 AM | IP: Logged


Originally posted by kowtownnole:

But instead what you get is polyester pants and pocket protectors in the what is rapidly becoming the land that time forgot.


Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.
7/23 10:26 AM | IP: Logged

Originally posted by kowtownnole:


I you have ever dealt with the Tallahassee govt types you see why there is so little private industry. No matter how much they say it, until the bureacrats and local pols are willing to allow free enterprise types into their inner circle they wont understand how to recruit them. The best, brightest and most industrious will not tolerate the local mindset that wants to know what color underwear you will have on each day that you go to work


If Tallahasse was not so closed mined the city would be thirving and would have  lots of tax $$$ s to spend on many projects and other recruiting efforts. They might even have a better selection of hotels and restaurants which would make the trips to FSU even better.


But instead what you get is polyester pants and pocket protectors in the what is rapidly becoming the land that time forgot.



Sadly, Tallahassee should see how their counterparts in Gainesville/Alachua County did a 180 about 15-20 years ago...as Gainesville/Alachua was soooooo anti-growth for decades and decades and decades...but even that old dog change their color beginning in the early 1990's...as there have been scores of new businesses/companies moving to/expanding to their area.

Innovation Square in downtown Gainesville is just their latest "win", a project that wouldn't have been even attempted in that area some 20 years ago.
7/23 6:28 PM | IP: Logged


Originally posted by Knight_Light:

Originally posted by kowtownnole:


I you have ever dealt with the Tallahassee govt types you see why there is so little private industry. No matter how much they say it, until the bureacrats and local pols are willing to allow free enterprise types into their inner circle they wont understand how to recruit them. The best, brightest and most industrious will not tolerate the local mindset that wants to know what color underwear you will have on each day that you go to work


If Tallahasse was not so closed mined the city would be thirving and would have  lots of tax $$$ s to spend on many projects and other recruiting efforts. They might even have a better selection of hotels and restaurants which would make the trips to FSU even better.


But instead what you get is polyester pants and pocket protectors in the what is rapidly becoming the land that time forgot.



Sadly, Tallahassee should see how their counterparts in Gainesville/Alachua County did a 180 about 15-20 years ago...as Gainesville/Alachua was soooooo anti-growth for decades and decades and decades...but even that old dog change their color beginning in the early 1990's...as there have been scores of new businesses/companies moving to/expanding to their area.

Innovation Square in downtown Gainesville is just their latest "win", a project that wouldn't have been even attempted in that area some 20 years ago.
Gainesville is still relatively anti-growth. My in-laws live there and my FIL is a long-time businessman in the community. He goes off on how Gainesville is anti-business pretty regularly. Just because they are trying to recruit a few high tech businesses does not mean the town is business friendly. The City of Alachua and Ocala both still get a lot of businesses that otherwise might be in Gainesville. 
7/24 3:13 PM | IP: Logged
It's hard to form a business friendly community when most of the alumni (for both UF and FSU) head north to Atlanta or south to Tampa and Orlando to pursue opportunities. Since both schools are practically at the same latitude geographically, all sense points to developing competitive, high-risk growth to the concentrated metro areas, and slow-sustainable growth in the outer-bands of medium and small sized cities.

A good indicator of whether the city is pro-growth is how they treat and fund their airport. Obviously, Florida's capital city's airport has a reasonable, but limited capacity (not bad, but not great) allowing for government to move about with some surge capacity. Gainesville's airport is even more limited.

Besides, not trying to be too hyper-critical of Tallahassee or FSU, what pool of health, wealth, or knowledge is Tallahassee willing to offer outside entities? How do we entice people to come in and say, "You know, I can really see us driving innovation and sales solely due to our cooperation with Tallahassee branch." Sure, entrepreneurship programs are great for developing new companies, but how do you keep those companies staying in Tallahassee when the culture is to move to bigger and better?

The ONLY way I have seen businesses come to Tallahassee firsthand was when Bing Energy, Inc. rolled into Innovation Park to be closer to the innovation and student supplies (High Performance Materials Institute). The deal was sweetened by some tax incentives by some Tallahassee "big-wigs", but that reason alone is not the primary reason for them staying long term. Read between the lines and dig deeper. Unless you want to change the tax structure to make Tallahassee the new Delaware, tax incentives aren't the way, nor being the "CEO of Florida" (some people think that having 1 boss is 1 boss too many, why have more!?).  See link below for Bing. Btw, Dr. Wang, remember, is not the inventor of Buckypaper..... *facepalm*

I'll help out a little. We need monopoly on patents. Works for Taxol. Works for buckypaper manufacturing. Will work in the future.

Granted, once those patents expire and the development stages are done... poof.... off to China for full-scale production.

Sorry for the rant. Latent anger issues with the culture with Tallahassee, in general. Next post will be happier and more positive, I promise.

Link: Bing's flawed about section7/24 10:01 PM | IP: Logged

Originally posted by Knight_Light:
It's amazing the turn around that has taken place in/around G'ville in regards to promoting for new businesses/companies to relocate there.

When I lived there 20 years ago, it was OCALA that got most of the new businesses with some in G'ville actually promoting OCALA as a destination because those in G'ville didn't want any change...didn't want "outsiders", didn't want companies OUTSIDE of Gville and especially, outside of FLA to move to their lil university town.

When downtown G'ville was basically dead and buried, its amazing to see what they are doing with it today to help attract good to HIGH paying jobs from innovative companies.

Today's G'ville is certainly not like your Daddy's G'ville.
Yea, back in the day, Gainesville was not very pro-business.  Glad to see that turned around.

9/25 11:20 PM | IP: Logged
This comment goes to both Gainesville and Tallahassee... the locations themselves will preclude them from maintaining top growth talent from schools outside of Florida.  If you as a business are comfortable with that than I think this is awesome but I would NEVER start/move my business to Gainesville or Tallahassee just due to the recruiting handcuffs it puts on you.  If you think kids will stay there for more than 2 years after say larger Fortune 500, tech firms or consulting firms come knocking with higher pay and a one way ticket to the big city than you have lost touch with the younger 20 somethings.
9/28 12:03 PM | IP: Logged
Previous Topic | Next Topic | Back to Topics

Post New topic Post New Poll Post Reply Page 1

LATEST NEWS




Rivals.com is your source for: College Football | Football Recruiting | College Basketball | Basketball Recruiting | College Baseball | High School | College Merchandise
Site-specific editorial/photos Warchant.com. All rights reserved. This website is an officially and independently operated source of news and information not affiliated with any school or team.
About | Advertise with Us | Contact | Privacy Policy | About our Ads | Terms of Service | Copyright/IP policy | Yahoo! Sports - NBC Sports Network

Statistical information 2007 STATS LLC All Rights Reserved.